Celebrate the Seventieth Anniversary of The Wizard of Oz with sheet music!
Based on a book entitled The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, the stunning musical The Wizard of Oz was produced seventy years ago today. Historically, the 1939 movie production starring Judy Garland, Frank Morgan and Ray Bolger is considered one of the greatest films of all time and has inspired musicals like The Wiz and Wicked. Both the film production and the musical soundtrack have a rich history filled with interesting trivia. Did you know that the Tin Man’s makeup was toxic? Or how about the fact that Shirley Temple was also considered for the lead of Dorothy?
Musicnotes.com is thrilled to celebrate the seventieth anniversary of the Wizard of Oz by featuring beautifully-arranged sheet music and a gorgeous songbook. We’ve just received a brand new sheet music book entitled The Wizard of Oz: 70th Anniversary Deluxe Songbook from Alfred Music Publishing. This full color book marks the first time some songs from The Wizard of Oz sheet music have been published in over a century. Arranged and transcribed by Tod Edmonson and Ethan Neuburg, you’ll find movie stills, two songs from the 1903 Broadway musical production of The Wizard of Oz that include lyrics by original Oz author L. Frank Baum, biographies, fact-filled essays and more!
Cary Ginell, who works for Alfred Music Publishing, wrote the history essay for the newly published sheet music book. Not only is he a music historian, musician and author of five books on American music, he has a deep love of music that shines through his writing. We would like to extend our thanks to Cary and all the folks over at Alfred for sharing the news with us about this collector’s item, and offer our congratulations on a beautiful book. Here are a few more points we’d like to share about this sheet music book:
- For the first time, all the songs from The Wizard of Oz are presented in their original keys.
- Songs are newly arranged from rare M-G-M studio manuscripts & the original motion picture soundtrack.
- Includes biographies of songwriters Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg, as well as music director/conductor Herbert Stothart.
- The “Munchkinland Musical Sequence,” is presented for the first time as it appears in the film: as an uninterrupted operetta, with all songs, dialog, and themes included.
- Music is included for “The Jitterbug,” a rare song that was deleted from the original film.
In addition to this collector’s item, we also offer the songs through our digital sheet music format.
The Wizard of Oz Digital Sheet Music
For those of you who enjoy downloading sheet music from our site, we also offer many of these songs as a digital sheet music download. If you’re a big fan of The Wizard of Oz, you can also check out our selection of The Wiz sheet music and Wicked sheet music, too.
Here’s a list of some signature song titles from The Wizard of Oz that we recommend:
- We’re Off to See the Wizard
- If I Only Had a Heart
- Over the Rainbow named “Song of the Century” by the RIAA!
- Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead
- The Lollipop Guild
- If I Only Had a Brain
- If I Only Had the Nerve
- The Merry Old Land of Oz
Be sure to place your order today for this spectacular collection of sheet music from The Wizard of Oz. We hope you take the time to watch the film or read the books, too!