Do you want to try out for a talent show like the X-FACTOR or AMERICAN IDOL? Are you preparing for a musical theater audition or just want to sing on stage? Musicnotes wants to help! Not only have we dug through our digital sheet music files to offer you suggestions for songs that we think you’ll love, we’ve also got a book we think you’ll get a lot out of.
One song in particular that you might want to consider practicing is entitled The 60 Second Audition. This song was written specifically to highlight a singer’s ability to perform different musical styles and techniques within sixty seconds, and can be purchased in multiple keys to fit your range.
If you’re not sure what your vocal range is or how these Singer Pro arrangements different from our instrumental sheet music selections, we invite you to read our post about Deciphering Singer Pro Sheet Music and Finding Your Vocal Range.
Sale! 15% Off Vocal Audition Book
We’ve taken 15% off a unique book that’s designed to help aspiring performers with their stage auditions. Thank you — that’s all we need for today… A Practical Guide to Musical Theatre Auditions is a book written by Mary Hammond, a vocal consultant who has worked with performers in world-renowned Broadway shows and pop music. This unique book helps singers understand the basics of a song, prepares them for auditions, mentions technical aspects that can help singers improve their sound, discusses stage presence and much more! Although there are notes for beginning vocalists in this book, this is a comprehensive overview of how a singer can be their best on stage. Even experienced vocalists will find something useful in this book to help them sing professionally.
Included with this book, you also receive a CD with vocal warm-ups, too. Normally, this 6 in x 8 in book and CD is $21.95, but we’re offering on sale at $18.65 from now through midnight, January 31, 2010.
15 Songs for Female Lead Vocalists
For singers who sing in the soprano and alto range, you might want to consider one of these fifteen songs. We’ve pulled together some song titles from Broadway shows and a variety of popular musical styles for you to consider for your next audition.
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow from THE WIZARD OF OZ
- Defying Gravity from WICKED
- The Alto’s Lament by Zina Goldrich
- I Dreamed a Dream from LES MISERABLES
- Good Morning Baltimore from HAIRSPRAY
- I Will Survive by Dino Fekaris
- Alone by Heart
- The Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston
- Beautiful by Christina Aguilera
- Fever by Peggy Lee
- I’ll Stand By You by Carrie Underwood
- Hero by Mariah Carey
- If I Ain’t Got You by Alicia Keys
- Black Horse and the Cherry Tree by KT Tunstall
- The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by Roberta Flack
15 Songs for Male Lead Vocalists
If you sing in the tenor or bass vocal range, we invite you to take a look at these song titles for your next audition. From Broadway to popular love songs, we’ve selected fifteen songs we think will work well on stage.
- Summertime from PORGY AND BESS
- The Music Of The Night from PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
- You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban
- Fly Me To the Moon by Frank Sinatra
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
- Imagine by John Lennon
- What’s Going On by Marvin Gaye
- Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson
- Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright
- You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi
- Isn’t She Lovely by Stevie Wonder
- Georgia on My Mind by Ray Charles
- Bless the Broken Road by Rascal Flatts
- The Way You Look Tonight by Tony Bennett
- Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkel
10 Classical Pieces for Singers
If you prefer to sing opera or songs by classical composers, then we think you’ll really enjoy this list of ten songs. Each Singer Pro arrangement in this list is part of our Musicnotes Editions catalog, so you receive an added value when you purchase any of these songs.
- Aria “Bist du bei mir” Composed by Bach
- Zion hort die Wachter Singen from “Sleepers, Awake!” Composed by Bach
- Habanera (from Carmen) Composed by Bizet
- Wiegenlied “Cradle Song” (Brahms’ Lullaby) Opus 49, No. 4 Composed by Brahms
- Caro Mio Ben (Thou, all my bliss) Arietta Composed by Giordani
- Voi, Che Sapete (from Le Nozze di Figaro) Composed by Mozart
- Nessun Dorma (from Turnadot) Composed by Puccini
- O Mio Babbino Caro (from Gianni Schicchi) Composed by Puccini
- Wandrers Nachtlied II, Opus 96 No 3 Composed by Schubert
- Ach, ich darf nicht hin zu dir (From Die Fledermaus) Composed by Strauss
- Brindisi (Libiamo Ne’ Lieti Calici) from La Traviata Composed by Verdi
About Musicnotes Editions
Our Musicnotes Editions are the best digital sheet music value your money can buy. Each professional arrangement offers you unlimited print capabilities of your sheet music as well as performance and/or recording rights for your piece!
Are you a singer and want to help your fellow Musicnotes performers? Feel free to recommend a song in the comments below!
Regarding Your Feedback
In response to your comments, we wanted to take a moment and address the concerns that you brought up with regards to the songs mentioned here in the post.
Initially, we were inspired to highlight the songs that have resonated with many of our customers because several of these songs were performed on stage and at auditions through talent shows like the X-Factor and American Idol. Susan Boyle is just one example of someone who sung a well-known Broadway song so well, that she ended up getting a recording contract from her performance.
After reading your comments, it is clear that some of you were expecting a list of songs appropriate for community theater or professional stage auditions. We understand that our presentation of these songs may have resulted in some confusion, and we are currently consulting with professionals that work on-and-off Broadway to provide you with a list of their recommendations.
As always, we appreciate your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to respond to this post.